Huaxia Xia's infodesk :: Car
If you have any suggestions, please email me.
For discussions, please visit SD-BBS.
- Driving license:
writing test, driving school, road test
- Search for a used car:
price, advertise, car history
- Buy a used car:
self check, mechanical check, title
- After buying:
insurance, DMV, AAA, maintenance
- Other useful links:
car care, car repair, parts shop...
- Car repair shops
- if you get license before you buy the car, you can test the car by yourself; you can drive it back by yourself; and you can drive it to DMV by yourself. Otherwise, you have to ask your friends to help you to do all these things (for many times:) Moreover, you have to pay much more money for your car insurance if you haven't got license yet.
- How to get driving license: read the website of DMV please.
1. vision test
2. writing test
3. driving class: you can ask your friends to teach you, but it's better if you take a class from driving school. Generally, the driving class costs about $25/hour, most classes takes 6 hours totally (you can ask for less or more time if you want).I took a class from
Gilbert Dang (Chinese name: 邓光成)
His class is $46 per 2 hour(in Feb 2006) and he can speak English, Mandarin, Cantonese, and Vietnamese.
4. driving test: You have to make an appointment for driving test. For the test, you
have to use a car with insurance. You can use the driving school's car to take the test.
5. Driving Tips Video: http://www.mpi.mb.ca/English/dr_tips/60sec.html
- What kind of car should you buy?
Free decision guide by AutoTrader, and Overstock.
How to Choose a "Right" Car? from Samarins.
Reliability ratings from JD Power consumer center
Free pricing by Kelly Blue Book and Edmunds.
Classified ads by
Check the vehicle history from Carfax or Autocheck. Autocheck is becoming more popular and has better price.
Make a call: it is good to make a call before go to test drive. You
should make it clear after the call:
year & model
options (power window, power mirror, power seats, CD, etc.)
clean title or not
ever in accident
How is the body ( if you care )?
How it runs?
Anything needs repair?
Do you have all the service records?
Has the timing belt been changed?
Are you the first owner?
Are you a dealer or private seller?
Do you have the smog check of the car?
and the always asked question: Why do you want to sell it?
(but don't believe everything.)
Finally, you should ask for the address if you want to
take a look:-)
1. Buy insurance.
- You'd better read the information on registration & title from DMV
before buying a car.
- If you want to buy it, you'd better make a mechanical check first.
The price for a basic check is about $30, and for a complete check is
- Does the owner has service records? Owner's
manual? Smog check?
(According to the website of DMV, it's the seller's obligation to
provide the purchaser with evidence of a valid smog certification)
Have you checked the vehicle history from Carfax or Autocheck?
- Ask for the endorsed title. This is the certificate that proves your
ownership on the car.
The insurance I am using is Farmers insurance group, agency: Jao. H. Kim, located in 7750 Dagget
St., Suite 206, tel:858-278-7727 or 619-203-7717(page).
It?s near Convoy & Balboe. You can take bus 41, transfer to 27 at
Balboe and get off at Convoy& Balboe.
Some people use "California
Brokerage", (619) 283-9999, 2848 El Cajon Blvd, San Diego, CA 92104.
But it's far if you take bus :-) Seems it's a good choice if you have only
There're also many people who use AllState Insurance. The
two agents are: Zeng Jing, 858-268-7010, her office is at 7323 Convoy Ct # B111, just
in front of the 99 supermarket; Patrick Wang,
858-623-3344, 8650 Genesee Ave # 108.
AAA club also provides auto insurance.
You can find many other insurance companies in the
2. Go to DMV to transfer the ownership in 10 days.
3. Join the AAA Club. They provide free maps and emergency assistant. It seems USECU has $10 off
coupon for the first year membership.
4. Make maintenance regularly according to the previous service records. Generally, oil change is necessary every 3000 miles and complete service is needed every 30,000 miles. More advice about car maintenance can be found at your car manual and CarTalk:Advice
1. How does the car work? Look into the
engine, transmission, brake, ACCU
Cars.com Interactive Car: have a very cool interactive
2.Don't you want yourself to become a car expert? Read the "how to" from:
Edmunds.com Tech Center: Tells a lot of tips about how to keep your car going and going and going.
NAPA Online: provides many tips on repair and service and also problem diagnosis.
Kids and Cars: Informational website completely centered around car safety for kids and young adults.
3.Where to buy auto parts?
6085 Balboa Ave. San Diego, CA 92111. Mon-Sat:8:00 AM - 10:00 PM Sun:9:00 AM - 9:00 PM.
7440 Convoy St, San Diego CA, 92111. (619)696-6272.
Auto Work: besides Hometown Buffet
Al & Ed's Autosound: 5789 Miramar Rd, very kind & honest guy. For car audio.
4. What to know the brands, logos, and prices?
Car companies, countries and brands
Car Safety: A fun interactive resource aimed to help educate families on cars and driving safety
5.How to drive like a Moron? Read the tutorial at http://www.doggiesnot.com/
carefully. What's a "Moron"? (You can look the dictionary of http://www.m-w.com/home.htm)
The following is a brief statistic from the maillist firstname.lastname@example.org about the garage shops. I just
count the number of people who said whether a shop is good or bad. (date: 20020302 -
|Mira Mesa Auto Techs||(9560 Black mountain Rd Suite A, 92126, Tele number:(858)693-6209 Mr Chen) |
|G. Win Auto ||(8448 Miracrest Pl # A, 92121, Tele: (858) 457-2008) |
|Pacific Auto Service||()|
|TAB's Toyota |
|TAP Auto Care(convey)|
|Japanese Auto Tech ||(6696 Miramar Rd # N, 92121, (858)546-8363)
|Star Auto (Dowdy) ||(9220 Dowdy Dr # F-G, 92126, (858)578-6315)|
|The Brake Shop ||(5750 Miramar Rd)|
|??? ||(8873 Balboa Ave, #ABC, San Diego, CA 92123)|
|On Time|| (6670 Miramar Rd # C, 92121, (858) 452-9999)|
|United Auto Body ||(Miramar Rd)|
|Kearny Mesa Auto Body ||(half a block from the intersection of Convoy and Engineering Rd, behind Pacific Honda)|
|Smog Check: (many shops can do smog check, like "Star Auto". But sometimes, you may be asked to do smog check at a "smog check only" shop, here're those I know:)|
|South Cal Smog|| 4645 Ruffner St. Ste. E, San Diego, 92111, (858)576-0375 (Smog Check Only)|
a detailed car care guide and a great car repair instructions.
Car Buying Tips: some useful tips for
buying new/used cars. Also a good article for jump start.
Car and Drive:
Express: to purchase alternator & starter.
Car won't start, symptoms, diagnosis, and possible cure
Goto top click here.
If you have any suggestions, please email